The Humane Society of Pagosa Springs (HSPS) makes every effort to reunite lost pets with their owners. Every incoming animal is checked for tags and scanned for a microchip. By Colorado statute, stray animals at the shelter become property of HSPS after being unclaimed for five days and may be placed for adoption or transferred at the discretion of HSPS.

To recover a lost pet as quickly as possible or to locate the owner of a found pet, circulate a detailed description of the animal via social media, advertising, and direct contact with the HSPS animal shelter.

Here are some Guidelines to assist you in that endeavor:

  • Check Lost/Found Pets Pagosa Springs Facebook for lost or found pets in Pagosa. List your lost or found pet in there. This page has numerous dedicated local members and has been instrumental in reuniting many lost pets with their families. The shelter posts on this page as well.
  • Use the HSPS website:
    • Submit a Lost/Found Report Form and follow up with a call or email to the shelter to relay the information. The shelter may then post this information to the Facebook page – if you email with the shelter, would be very good to include a picture of the pet.
    • Use the Lost Pet Kit to create a poster that can be duplicated and posted around town.
  • Call and/or visit the HSPS animal shelter as soon as possible:
    • Reporting lost pets to the shelter with a detailed description enables shelter staff to notify of any incoming strays matching that description.
    • Monitor adoptable pets on this website. Keep in mind that people will sometimes feed and care for a lost pet for days or even weeks before turning it in to the animal shelter.
  • Circulate lost pet information through multiple outlets:
    • Place a yard sign with lost pet information in front of your home. People who find a lost pet will often search the area for the owner.
    • Check Facebook: Lost/Found Pets Pagosa Springs
    • Notify your veterinarian and other local veterinary clinics. People who find lost pets often use the veterinarian information listed on rabies tags.
    • Notify KWUF radio Pet Patrol (970-264-5983). KWUF will broadcast the information free of charge.
    • Notify Archuleta County dispatch (970-731-2160) to report a lost pet.
    • Place a Lost and Found advertisement in the Pagosa SUN newspaper (970-264-2100). Some Lost and Found ads may run free of charge.

Prevent the heartache of losing your pet by always having it wear an identification tag, even if the pet is microchipped. This is especially important if you have recently moved or have acquired a new pet that may not be familiar with the area around home.  The shelter can produce identification tags while you wait.

If a lost pet is microchipped, appropriate national database affiliated with the microchip to report the missing pet.  You can also register (usually for a fee) with other microchip databases


Scroll to Top